SEO Optimization Guide
SEO optimization tips for search engine ranking
One of the main objectives when writing an article is to attract traffic on its website in order to provoke an action at the visitor (subscription to a newsletter, purchase, contact request, phone call).
If an article is properly referenced on search engines, the organic traffic and resulting visits are an excellent investment over the medium / long term.
f the natural referencing must take into account several factors that make it possible to appear on the searches that make the Internet users in relation to our article.
Optimizing Google’s search engine optimization makes it possible to position itself on numerous queries made by Internet users and thus to reach the right people.
In this article we will see how to optimize the content to achieve a good position in the search results on several keywords. Targeting a single keyword in your content can quickly cause over-optimization of the article but does not allow you to position yourself on all of the keyword combinations that Google knows today.
For example take a keyword like “lose weight quickly”; let’s start by using a basic tool like Keyword Planner.
Look in the “Idea Groups” and not in the “Keyword Ideas” to understand how Google associates the term “lose weight fast” with other terms.
We may include in the text terms such as:
- Lose some belly
- Losing weight
- Diet to lose weight etc…
The combination of all these terms in your text allows Google to “accurately understand” the subject of the article.
Do not bombard your content with the same keyword over and over again.
Include the main keyword on which you want to position 2 or 3 times in your text or in the Title, that is enough.
Wait, that’s not all!
You can improve your SEO by using other keywords found by “semantic association” using the following methods.
Without going into details LSI means Latent Semantic Indexing. As explained, it is better to use several keywords that “support” the idea that conveys our main keyword and that give context to the written article.
To help Google understand what we are talking about we will avoid repeating the same keyword and we will use synonyms, similar terms and other words having a semantic relationship with our main keyword.
Why use LSI to optimize its SEO?
- This will help Google understand what we are talking about.
- This will give a “semantic context” to the content of the article.
- This will allow us to position ourselves on several keywords depending on the competition and the length of the content.
How to find complementary keywords?
Use the keyword suggestions suggested by Google, when you type in the search form or at the bottom of the page.
We’ve seen that Keyword Planner can help us understand how Google combines several keywords but I want to give you some tools that will help you push your searches.
These tools work in much the same way. Enter your main keyword in the form and click on “Find”, “Search” … In addition they are free!
- YOAST SUGGEST
- LSI GRAPH
What do I do with these keywords?
Use them in your content, on the ALT tags of your images, in your links, your titles, etc…
Instead of repeating the same keyword again and again, use these close variations provided by Google in your text.
The title is losing more and more importance for the SEO of your article!
Nevertheless this one is indispensable; use it to capture the attention of the visitors when they see your page displayed in the search results. The title can include the main keyword as well as secondary keywords having an LSI semantic relationship.
Rules to respect for title:
- Respect Length: Search engines take 65-75 character titles into search results.
- If you use WordPress and the YOAST SEO Plugin then all this should only be a formality.
- Make the keyword appear in the title or an associated keyword.
- Use a unique and descriptive title. Do not hesitate to include a Call to Action, to stir up curiosity or to provoke emotion in order to attract attention.
- You can now include emojis in the title, made tests with emoji of your choice.
- Depending on the item you will see the clicks increase if you use them.
A trick to put in place
Feel free to copy the titles of the Adwords ads displayed at the top of the page. Typically, people who create ads on adwords test titles on numerous occasions to discover the best version with the most clicks.
Create an attractive description!
This is a brief description of the content of a page and although without much importance in the positioning,
- The description is essential to increase the number of clicks on your article and completes the action of the title.
- The number of clicks based on impressions (CTR) is a very important factor for referencing your page.
- Creating a readable and attractive description using LSI keywords can increase clicks (and thus the CTR).
- Remember that search engines only include the first 160 characters.
Organize HTML markup for content
For SEO on page, optimizing the content of the article with consistent markup is very important for the structure and proper interpretation of your text by Google.
- Use a single H1 header per page by positioning it as high as possible on the page
- Subtitles H2-H3 will always be positioned below
- There may be several subtitles
- The lists <ul> or <ol> are very important, insert complementary keywords.
Example of header organization:
- <H1> Title with main keyword </ h1>
- – <h2> Subtitle with keyword LSI </ h2>
- —- <h3> Important point (LSI possible) </ h3>
- —- <h3> Important point (LSI possible) </ h3>
- – <h2> Subtitle with keyword LSI </ h2>
Placement of the main keyword
Try to place your main keyword in the first 100-150 words of your article which will allow you to immediately announce the color to the Google robots that will visit your page.
- Place it also in the last 2 lines of your text.
- Optimize the ALT attribute of all your images
- In case you add images, then the ALT attribute must be filled in.
- This is the alternative text of the image.
- Although Google is already beginning to recognize certain elements of a still image it still needs the ALT attribute.
- This allows you to position these images in the search results and thus to acquire additional traffic.
- Try not to repeat the same keyword again and again!
Once again, use LSI keywords or keywords from the Google suggestions.
Include outbound links
Good content always comes with references to external articles to give credibility to the ideas that are formulated there.
- You may think that links only help improve SEO off page or off site, but this is not the case any more in 2020.
- In on page SEO optimization this is also one of many factors taken into account by Google.
- Make links and link your article to sites that are recognized in your field and have a direct relationship to your content.
- This will reinforce the authority of your article and place it in a “semantic context” that is well defined by Google.
Compare the length of your content
- Compare your item to the first 5 results that appear on your search query.
- If the first results include articles of 200 or 300 words, that your article makes 500 and it is well built, then you have every chance of being well referenced.
- If it is the opposite, it will be necessary to produce a longer and more optimized content!
Create a short, readable URL
- This is not a critical factor but try to have a URL as short and descriptive as possible.
- In the best of worlds, a URL should be simple and easy to remember (SEO-Friendly) so that users and the search engine know what to expect when they click on the link.
- You can integrate the exact keyword into the URL, but avoid over-optimizing by repeating the same keyword as in the description or title.
- You can play with the semantics and insert an LSI keyword linked to your main keyword.
Insert Multimedia Content
Insert multimedia elements, images or videos, reinforces the general topic of your article and therefore optimize the SEO of your page.
- This will help you, in addition to SEO, to foster the user experience.
- The visitor stays longer so that the visitor leaves the page quickly and reduces the bounce rate (with the addition of a video, for example).
- For Google, this is a sign of quality of the page.
- Indexing will be faster and your images may appear at the top of the list on certain keywords.
Optimize SEO by creating internal links between your pages
This is a very important factor for optimizing the SEO of your site as a rule.
- To shorten it, pointed links from other pages to your article and pointed links from your article to other pages to create an internal mesh on your site.
- The internal structure of your site has almost as much weight as the external links pointing to your site.
- Feel free to vary the anchors that point to your article (using LSI keywords for example).
Improve SEO by increasing page load speed
The speed of loading the page is a key factor for optimizing the SEO of your site in 2020. The speed of a website is a vital element for Google SEO. If the page loads slowly, then the visitor will lose patience and leave the site without reading anything at all!
This is a clear factor of “bad quality” in the eyes of Google. It is therefore necessary to arrange for the page to be displayed as soon as possible.
We can improve the loading speed doing these actions:
- Choosing a Quality Web Host
- Compress resources with Gzip
- Compress CSS files
- Compress and reduce the weight of images
- Compress HTML files
If you use WordPress, use plugins that can save your speed and improve your loading time quickly:
- Lazy Load: Loads an image only when it becomes visible (scrolling for example)
- Zen Cache: an excellent plugin for caching very simple but really sturdy!
In general, the use of a cache plugin must be mandatory on any site.
By 2020 SEO optimization of your content on Google passes more and more through the different user interactions.
- Number of visits
- Clicks on the title
- Time spent on your page
- Bounce rate
Today it is better to concentrate and take your time to create 1 well-done article targeting an “idea” or a “group” of keywords than on several articles targeting 1 single keyword.
In my opinion, the use of semantic indexing is the key for content creation and this allows you in addition to finding ideas to flesh out your article.
If you know of other optimization factors that are not listed here do not hesitate to share them in the comments.